Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Drenching to the Sound of Rain

Gray Area Foundation For The Arts (GAFFTA)
998 Market. St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 843-1423

I like the sound of rain, but I never want to get wet in it for too long. Unfortunately, I did so and with my backpack as well as I walked back and forth, waiting for someone to open the door to GAFFTA in the Tenderloin District of San Francisco. I got off at the Powell BART station, searching for the place, with no luck at all. It was around 8:30 A.M. and I couldn't find any place that was open, except for a donut store, which I took refuge and bought some donuts. I can remember the taste now of those donuts. It reminds me of a coffee store that smells of coffee, like Starbucks, but the inside didn't look trendy or had any shades of brown in its interior.

As I walked into the GAFFTA building, I was welcomed with continuous lite noises of mechanical machines, which I didn't realize that they were part of the showcase of artworks done by an artist named Zimoun.

After a couple of minutes being inside GAFFTA with the continuous sounds of mechanical noises, it was actually quite comfortable to the ear, almost like a white noise that puts you at rest.
As you hear the sounds of cotton balls hitting boxes on the floor, plastic wires hitting boxes in a circular motion, or 361 metal wires continuously rotating all due to a DC motor, including with all of the works applied, the noises cancels out singular ones that we may feel to be irritating when heard for a long period of time, like when florescent lights make high-pitched noises.

Here are some photos that I took when we took our field trip:



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment